Friday, April 13, 2007

Finally the weekend..

Ah, it's been a whirlwind of a week! My feet have barely touched the ground. We've updated our registry to reflect our new baby. Pretty much everything we had registered for was for a toddler. I'm having to learn about bottles and baby food but loving every minute of it. We received the translation of Zoe's growth report today. Actually a former student of mine who is native Chinese came and looked over the untranslated reports today first so she was the first to give me the scoop. Medically everything seems to have been translated correctly which is a relief. I cried when she was telling me about Zoe's finding. The details of Zoe's first days are not something we're going to share, even with family. It is Zoe's story, and if she decides to tell it someday then that will be up to her. I did learn that Zoe's name Yuanguo means "garden fruit or round fruit". My student thinks it's because she has a little melon head :) I also learned that it is not two words as I had written it (Yuan Guo) but one word (Yuanguo), although it is two seperate Chinese characters. The guo part of her name is hard for me to pronounce so I'm working on it. I think it is said with the third tone, which is one I have a hard time hearing. My friend was great though and tried to spell things phonetically in English for me. Zoe apparently loves music and being outside (not translated but in the documents...I suggest getting someone fluent in Mandrin to look over your documents). A little bell is her favorite toy so we're going to be on the look out for a similar toy. She likes to play with her caregiver, is very clever, quite lovely, and quiet. She reportedly sleeps through the night (10 hours) but we'll see about that....that would be lovely :) Other than that she's like a baby...she eats, pees, and poops. We're so in love with our little peanut...or I guess I should say melon! :)

4 comments:

EJ said...

I am so happy the weekend is here for you just to have some downtime to take it all in. How exciting to get everything translated and learn all you can about your precious Zoe. That would be wonderful if she slept through the night! We are just so happy for you and Eric and especially Miss Zoe she has found wonderful parents who already love her so much!! Enjoy your weekend!
Ellen

Karen said...

That is great that you were able to have someone look at the documents and give you even more details of Zoe's life. We are planning on diong the same thing with some of the info (keeping it as our child's, not public info), I think that is a great idea. Enjoy your weekend.
Karen

Anonymous said...

We picked up my niece a few months ago. Her name was Guo Xiu and Guo is pronounced Gwaw (rhymes with more)

Anonymous said...

Hope you guys had a terrific weekend as PARENTS! So wonderful to find out all the special little things about Zoe. I am sure you are on cloud 9 with joy. How exciting that soon she will be in your arms. We're very happy for you all. Melanie