Thursday, June 7, 2007

Last Full day in Nanchang









I can't see my blog so I don't know if this will post or not. We had an amazing morning. We went to a village outside of Nanchang today. It was not part of the GWCA expereince but we asked our guide to arrange it and we split the bus fee. We weren't able to go to Fengxin, where most of the girls are from since it is a long way away, but this village is apparently representative of villages in the area. From what our guide told us, the families rent the land from the government for growing crops. The families also build their house and all generations live in the same house. Our guide went to one family and told them who we were and why we were there. I think we were a show for the villagers as they all came out to see us. A woman in our group had the wonderful idea and foresight to bring a Polaroid camera. She was able to take pictures of the village families and give them a copy. It may be the only family picture these people have. If you have yet to travel, it's a great idea you may want to copy. They were so appreciative and really enjoyed having their pictures taken. The rooms in the homes were small and pigs and chickens were right outside (the pigs in a small pen, the chickens roamed free). Rice fields were all around. I'm so grateful we got to see what life may have been like for our daughters. Hopefully this will keep Eric and I from taking too many things for granted. Our guide said the annual income of a family is 10,000 RMB which is roughly a little over $1,000. In China, the fine for having an additional child is 10,000 RMB for the first child and 100,000RMB for the second child over the limit. One family today have twin boys...quite the blessing as they are both male and only count as one child. I have to go sign paperwork so I'm going to try to post this now. This is our last full day in Nanchang. Tomorrow we're going to a porcelin shop and then off to Guangzhou. We're all ready to move on I think.

4 comments:

Karen said...

The counrty side looks very interesting. I'm glad that you had the chance to see some of the province. It offers great insite. Hang in there.
Karen

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

I am loving your blog. It is noce to know what you are talking about. I would love to ge some copies of the village pictures. We didn't have that opportunity. Keep up the great work. YOu guys are doing an awesome job. Zoe is a lucky girl!

Love,
Michele

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
Oh my goodness she is beautiful!! I can't wait to meet her; we share a very special name :) I am praying for yall as you come home.
see you soon!
Katie

EJ said...

How awesome you were able to arrange a trip to see the countryside where Zoe most likely came from. It is beautiful. You are doing a wonderful job keeping us all up to date on your journey!
Ellen