Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Drugstore

I'm a little worried I'm going to be stopped at customs for drug smuggling. Just a sampling of the wonderful Western drugs we are taking to China with us:
Infant Tylenol
Infant Tylenol + cough and cold
Pedicare infant decongestant
Baby Vicks (not a drug but still)
Amoxicillan
Scabies meds (ick, ick, ick)
Antibiotic ointment
Infant Motrin
Eye solution
Oral rehydration salts
Children's benedryl

I feel like there are more but I can't remember. We have all the above in adult formulas as well (except for the scabies meds :) ). I really, really tried to pack lightly but Zoe's bag is pushing 35 pounds...all this for one 8 month old. I found an extremely helpful pharmacist at the Harris Teter near us today who was helping me with dosing information. It's scary to be thinking about giving medicine to a child where all the box says is "under 2 contact your doctor." The Orphan Allies kit had dose information for the things they provided but I was unsure about the rest of it. We're getting the carpets cleaned on Saturday and then I can spread out Eric's and my stuff and get the rest of the packing done. I went to Old Navy and bought some of their t-shirts for dirt cheap. Essentially it's going to be the same style t-shirt, different color for the entire trip :)

Does anyone know where I can get a three prong adaptor? Best Buy? Also, how sure is anyone that the black box that is part of the computer cord is actually a converter?

6 comments:

Karen said...

Walmart!!! I found ours at Walmart.

Hey if you get stopped for being a drug smuggler I will definately be in the same spot the month after you. :)

EJ said...

You crack me up! It is amazing how many different medicines we are taking, just in case!I hope that none are needed but I like you am not going to want to chance not having something!! It is so exciting to see you are almost ready to scoop up Zoe in your arms!!
Ellen

RamblingMother said...

Don't worry about an adapter. You can borrow them from the hotels. I did buy one, carried it unopened and never once opened it. I borrowed from the hotel when needed and that was only in Nanning. Everywhere else we stayed had Western plugin capabilities.

Beverly

Unknown said...

That's nothing. We brought easily three times that. The only thing we used was one suppository. Thank goodness!

We bought two adaptors that we found at Office Max. We needn't have bothered. We didn't even need one in Beijing or Chongqing. The hotels had this funky outlets that would take any type of plug. We didn't bring a converter and our laptop and cameras did fine. They have that black box thing you mentioned. If you read it it says something about taking variable voltages. The only place we actually needed the adaptor was at the White Swan. I'm sure they would have provided us with one, but we did have our own.

Nesting For Natalie said...

Target for the adapter. We brought that stuff and used some of it, gave some away, and borrowed an adult Rx for strep in China for my hubby :).

Amy

Colleen said...

We just got ours at Target today. I freak out with all those meds too - and worry about loosing luggage and not having them! Can't bring all those liquids on anymore - so they have to get checked, rigth? Totally freaked about that.