Monday, December 17, 2007

A Few of My Favorite Things



In the spirit of Oprah, I'm always trolling blogs looking for cool things so I thought I'd share what I enjoy as well.




If you are as obsessed with hairbows as I am, you need to check out Charlotte's Bows. http://www.charlottesbows.com/ The bows are dainty (not ginormous like some in stores), stay in Zoe's fine hair, come in a great variety, and are shipped quickly. We have a ton and keep going back for more. They also make great gifts if you know someone who is expecting a little girl.


Praise baby: http://www.praisebabycollection.com/ I've posted before that we're not terribly religious but these videos are amazing. Zoe is not a fan of Baby Einstein but she will sit quietly for the entire 30 minutes these videos are on. She had to start nebulizer treatments this week for bronchiolitis and watching these videos is the only thing that calms her with the mask on her face. I highly recommend, ended up being our best shower gift. Also great for restless late nights.



My Coach diaper bag. Okay, it's a big expense. I'm not even going to link to it BUT how many diaper bags can go from an outing with your baby to meetings with other professionals. It's both my work and diaper bag and I unapologetically love it. And Shawn and Karen, don't even think of posting "I can't believe you..." :)

Things without pictures:
  • Doodle Doo Designs: http://www.doodledoodesigns.com/ The best shirt I ever got Zoe was the Fantasy football one. Love it!
  • Hormel foods- They make a great potroast, turkey dinner, meatloaf, ect. Zoe loves them and actually eats meat this way. It's great for nights that we're eating something different from her. 4 minutes in the microwave and done.
  • Our Maclaren Triumph Charcoal/Pink stroller~ It's pink, I waited forever for a daughter, and as a bonus she actually rides in it without screaming.
  • Gymboree and Janie and Jack~ I have a shopping problem. See above: I waited forever for a daughter

While I love to shop, is there anything better than giving? Not only does it help others and make you feel good, but it provides a much needed tax break. Two of the charities we support are below. Whoever you decide to donate to, find something that matters to you and do your research. Websites such as http://www.charitynavigator.org/ can help you learn where your money is going.


One of the defining events of my life was losing my sister to cancer when I was 10. We were lucky to live near NIH which also provided outstanding experimental care, but other families traveled from all over the US. Now that I'm a parent, I can't even imagine how my mom and dad went on breathing after Kathy died. St. Jude's is a research hospital that provides treatment to those who can't afford it. http://www.stjude.com/


Obviously the orphans left behind in China are a concern for us. Zoe spent the first 9 months of her life in an orphanage and came to us probably 3 months delayed. Through their Baby Sisters Infant Nuture program, Half the Sky employs, trains and supervises local women to work as full-time nannies, providing orphaned babies the stimulation, bonding and affection that are essential to a healthy start. Children who have benefited from the Half the Sky programs are usually on target developmentally. http://www.halfthesky.com/ For relatively little money you can sponser a child for a year.

Happy Holidays!!

5 comments:

Karen said...

What a nice post. I will have to check out all of your suggestions.
Charities that give back to children are always our first choice.

EJ said...

I love your post!! I agree with you there is nothing better than giving. We LOVE Half the sky and chose to give an annual Sponsorship in honor of Sarah's Birthday. Just a little way of giving back all that we have received from China with the gift of our precious daughter.
Ellen

Melanie & David said...

Kristi - what a cool post. pretty brave of you to post your Coach diaper bag - it's way cool, very stylish and highly functional and as you pointed out - multi-purpose.
Half the Sky is an awesome charity and we know multiple people who adopted from China who adopted it. We support conservation and the environment too because all these children only get this one planet to live on.... uhh, so many great causes.

bugs parents said...

Of course, Half the Sky is very special to us - Catherine was in one of their SWIs! The pictures and information we got about her first two years is priceless. Thanks for mentioning them in your blog! Have a great Christmas!

Unknown said...

Just dropping in to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!