Monday, October 29, 2007

A Decision

We need to make a decision soon about whether or not to change Zoe's daycare provider. I put her on the wait-list at a Luthern church daycare 2 years ago and they've told me they will have a spot for her in January. This is one of the best daycares in the area (clearly, if the wait is 2 years) so I know it will most likely be a good change. The problem is I love her current teacher. I know that in the spring Zoe will be switching out of the young toddler class anyway; but, I feel like she's been very well taken care of in her class and that the staff at her current location is very nuturing. I don't even watch the webcam anymore since I know she's fine.

The huge plus of the church daycare is that it will be 5 minutes from the house and 2 minutes from my office and assigned schools. Right now I'm driving Zoe 20 minutes to daycare and then, on the days I don't have meetings at a school near the daycare, I'm turning around and hurrying back another 15 minutes in my original direction to get to work on time. Eric's school is closer, but we can never seem to get Zoe up and ready by the time he needs to leave to get to work. I'm torn on the religious aspect of the church daycare as well. I am not a religious person. I think religion is great if it keeps people from doing bad things that, for not the fear of eternal damnation, they would be doing....but I'm a person who really wanted the Darwin fish magnet on the back of my car in college.

However, I can conceed that I could be wrong. With that in mind we're having Zoe baptized in December (although at my mom's house by the minister who married us instead of in a church). I also guess I like the idea of "Jesus time" (on the daily schedule) so that she gets exposed to religion and can make her own informed decisions when she's older. Still...I'm sad about pulling her from her current place and know that she's going to go through yet another transition in January if we do. I hate to get back to the place where she's crying every time I drop her off.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Could you do a trial and see if she likes the new place. I know the idea of driving 20 minutes out of the way and then back again is a big thing too, I will be doing it in January and I have to say I'm not looking forward to it at all. You also brought up getting Zoe ready for Daycare, I have no idea how we are going to do that either, both Shawn and I will need to leave the house by about 5:45 with Ava ready for the day. Currently she likes to sleep in until 7:30-8:00 my kind of girl. Ok so with this long winded post the only thought i would have that could be an idea is doing a trial witht he new place and see if the old place will hold Zoe's spot. If they can or if they frequently have openings than go that route.
Just an idea.

Sam said...

I was thinking the same thing as Karen. See if you can't do a trial run on this. I think she'll do just fine with the change - maybe you can just take her in and let her see what it's all about and see how she does. If, there opened after work hours for yourself, stop by and let her visit even if it's for 10/15 or even 20 mintues at a time, but get her use to the surroundings? It's easy for me to say being Sam was never in daycare, but having his school so close to home is great.
Good luck there, our prays are with you.
Sherri

Anonymous said...

Try not to "over think" everything and relax. Our kids take their cues from us. If it is a good thing in your eyes, it will be a good thing in her eyes. Tears at first are normal, but she is secure in your love. You two are providing such love and are fantastic parents. Change is a necessary part of life. Can you imagine the changes our babies will see in their life times?? Helping them adapt to change may be one of our greatest gifts!

Melanie said...

Kristi,
If you decide to finish out the year at the current daycare, will you be able to get her in the closer one for next year? (I'm assuming Eric will be keeping her home during the summer, but if not, maybe the transition could come over summer when he/you could drop her off for a few half days before the need for a full-day).
Melanie