Monday, August 27, 2007

An Apology...

I'd like to issue a formal apology to anyone to whom I gave unsolicited parenting advise over the years. I'm sure phrases such as "you need to", or "you should" have rolled off my unknowing tongue. See, as a psychologist I know what I SHOULD do for Zoe but really, all that goes by the wayside when it's your kid. When the amoxicillin hurt her belly and she wouldn't eat...I knew I should only feed her in the high chair (she'll eat when she's hungry) but no...since she's my kid and I was worried it was perfectly acceptable to feed her while she stood standing in the refrigerator :) Hey, anything to get her fed and keep up her weight. So to everyone without kids who has uttered the words "you need to", or "you should" to me over the past three months...I know you mean well, but talk to me when it's your own kid who's struggling :) I now completely understand when the parents that I work with occasionally used my least favorite phrase in meetings "Do you have kids?". Before I thought it was irrelevant...now I know it's the most relevant question they could ask. My answer, of course, used to be "No." Now it will be, "Yes, I understand.....and you still need to not let them set fires :)

6 comments:

EJ said...

I LOVE this post! I hope Zoe is doing better. I have found I have had to eat a few words as of late myself. It is amazing what you will do for your little angel! I will take your advice and not let Sarah set fires:)
Love, Ellen

Karen said...

Exactly. Just think of all the advice that I've given over the years to my students regarding parenting. I didn't have a clue.

RamblingMother said...

Amen, and me too.

Beverly

Jewels of My Heart said...

I had this whole parenting thing figured out until I became a Mom...

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kristi!
Yes, my Fin would be the obsessively clean one who would pull out all of the White Swan toys so that she could put them away again. Now that she's in the states, she loves to vacuum. She will unplug my rechargable stick vac, turn it on, and push it around the house. I'm glad one of us likes housework!
Zoe is so cute. I hope you all get some sleep soon. For teh record, I vote for the ladybug!

Melanie said...

AMEN...we've all been there that have been in both a child-care type field and now motherhood...now you'll just repeat the phrase, "I know I shouldn't xyz." We all do it. But definitely no lighting fires Zoe!!!