Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I can't believe it's been a year

I can't believe it's been a year since we first saw our daughter's face. At this time last year I had just received the e-mail from our agency telling me that they had our referral. I knew they would call around 3pm so I headed to lunch with a friend of mine who helped keep me calm until it was time to go home for the call. I remember vividly my friend Melanie calling to congratulate me on our daughter. Since I hadn't gotten the phone call yet I told her that we weren't sure it was a girl. I can still here her say "They're all girls!" Apparently she had received an e-mail from our agency saying that all of the referrals were for girls. At that moment I didn't care about anything else, I was so happy to have a daughter. Eric and I would have loved a son with all our hearts, but we were really hoping for a daughter for our first child. Melanie let me go so I could get the call from the agency and with paper and pen ready I took the call. While I had all intentions of writing all the information down, I think I wrote maybe her Chinese name and birthdate. The agency sent our baby's pictures to my e-mail and in the longest 5 minutes of my life I waited for Eric to get home before I opened them so we could see her face for the first time together. Our Zoe. Then the shopping began..and really has yet to end! Every day I'm overwhelmed with the gift China gave to us. She could not be more loved and we could not be happier.

3 comments:

EJ said...

What a great post! It really is hard to believe it has been a year since you got the news of your precious Zoe! What a year it has been!! It is just amazing how much Zoe has changed since those referral pictures!! Congratulations again on receiving such a wonderful gift of Zoe from China!

Karen said...

What an amazing year. And what a great post. I know that this is just the start to even more to come. Congratulations and enjoy your day.
Love,
Karen

Beth said...

Thanks for your comment the other day. I also can't believe that a year has gone by already. Zoe is more adorable than ever. The 18 month photos are beautiful. I love the wonder in her expression in the first shot with the basket, but you're right about the baseball one...what a great smile! Congratulations on your referral anniversary.

Beth

P.S. We're wondering here if the shopping will ever end, too. ;) I'm a sucker for books and I can't resist all the cute clothes!